EVERY DAY is a good day to quote Mean Girls, but on October 3 fans came together to remember the much-loved teen comedy.
But why was this day chosen and what’s the deal with wearing pink? Here’s everything you need to know.
Why is Mean Girls Day celebrated on October 3?
This hallowed day has gone down with fans because it is when Lindsay Lohan’s character Cady was asked a vital and memorable question by crush Aaron Samuels.
Tousled-haired hunk Aaron swivelled round in his chair during a class at school to ask Cady: “What day is it?”
She replied: “October 3.”
Now, every time the date comes around each year, fans take to social media to remember the iconic Mean Girls moment and celebrate the popular high school film.
When was Mean Girls released?
Mean Girls is an American teen comedy that was released in 2004.
It was written by comedian and presenter Tina Fey and is based on Rosalind Wiseman’s non-fiction self-help book Queen Bees and Wannabes, which features the topic of high school cliques.
— W Magazine (@wmag) October 3, 2019
The movie, starring Lindsay Lohan as lead role Cady, saw her character move to the United States after a rural upbringing in Africa with zoologist parents.
Attending an American school is not what Cady expects, but she quickly finds herself in A-list girl clique, The Plastics.
Trouble starts to brew when she makes the mistake of falling for Aaron Samuels, who is the ex-boyfriend of “Queen Bee” Regina, played by Rachel McAdams.
What are other memorable Mean Girls quotes?
Here’s some of the most memorable quotes from the movie:
- Four for you Glen Coco. You go, Glen Coco.
- That’s why her hair is so big; it’s full of secrets.
- You can’t just ask someone why they’re white.
- Boo, you wh*re!
- Don’t have sex, because you will get pregnant and die.
- She doesn’t even go here!
- Gretchen, stop trying to make fetch happen! It’s not going to happen.
- I’m sorry that people are so jealous of me. But I can’t help it that I’m popular.
- I can’t go to Taco Bell! I’m on an all-carb diet! God, Karen, you are so stupid.
- I’m kind of psychic. I have a fifth sense.
- There’s a 30 per cent chance that it’s already raining.
- Somebody should just stab Caesar.
- I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy.
How do fans celebrate Mean Girls Day?
Aside from sharing memes and gifs on Twitter, here are some ways to show your devotion to the cult film:
- Bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone can eat it and be happy.
- Wear pink, even if it’s not Wednesday.
- Make your face smell like peppermint.
- Wear white gold hoops.
- Use the word “grool” a number of times throughout the day.
- Watch a Danny DeVito movie because you love his work.
- Eat lunch in the bathroom cubicle by yourself.
- Wear a wig made out of your mum’s chest hair.
To celebrate the day, writer and star Tina Fey will be hosting a movie viewing party on the Mean Girls on Broadway Facebook page from 8 p.m. ET.
For those who want to watch the film to celebrate Mean Girls Day, Mean Girls is streaming on the Cinemax and HBO Now Amazon Prime add-ons and is available to rent and buy on most digital stores including YouTube, Google Play and the Apple Store.
Written by Becky Pemberton