One of the things we love about pesto is its versatility: Peas can take on basil’s traditional role without missing a beat.
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 – 16 oz. box of pasta
- Fill a large saucepan 3/4 full with water, salt generously, and bring to a boil for around 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare pesto. To a blender, add peas, pine nuts, and garlic. Blend it at low speed. While the machine is running, stream in olive oil and increase the speed a little bit.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding Parmesan cheese for cheesy flavor, add basil, add lemon juice for acidity/brightness, and a little bit of salt.
- Continue blending, scraping down sides as needed, until creamy and fully combined. If it has trouble blending add a bit more olive oil or water.
- Next add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Be sure not to overcook it.
- Once your pasta is cooked and drained, transfer to a serving platter or mixing bowl and add pea pesto .Toss to combine.
- Cut some tomatoes and add to the mix. It provides some color and a nice fresh bite. Garnish generously with additional Parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy chilled or at room temperature.