Getty Images
in

Royal family breaks silence on Harry and Meghan’s tell-all interview

 Buckingham Palace issued a statement Tuesday addressing Prince Harry and Meghan‘s tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey, saying the issues the couple raised, particularly around race, are “concerning.”

“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” the palace said in a statement, breaking its silence more than 40 hours after the revealing interview first aired in the U.S. on Sunday night.

“While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately,” the statement added. “Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”

Earlier on Tuesday, several royal family members, including Harry’s father Prince Charles, carried on with their usual engagements.

The statement on what royal experts have described as a very damaging interview marked a notable departure for the palace, which usually refrains from commenting on reports and articles in the media.

The couple spoke with the media mogul Winfrey for a two-hour interview that aired on CBS in prime time on Sunday night in the United States and on Monday night in the United Kingdom.

The wide-ranging interview focused on what the Duke and Duchess of Sussex described as a lack of support offered to the couple after their 2018 marriage, Meghan’s experience with suicidal thoughts and British tabloids’ harsh scrutiny of her, which she said veered into racist undertones.

In a clip released by CBS on Monday, Harry said racism played “a large part” in the reason the couple left the country.

Royal photographer: Prince Harry ‘miserable’ since Meghan came alongQAnon Shaman denied pre-trial release on account of 60 Minutes ‘publicity stunt’

LONDON — Buckingham Palace issued a statement Tuesday addressing Prince Harry and Meghan‘s tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey, saying the issues the couple raised, particularly around race, are “concerning.”https://www.dianomi.com/smartads.epl?id=3533

“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” the palace said in a statement, breaking its silence more than 40 hours after the revealing interview first aired in the U.S. on Sunday night.

“While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately,” the statement added. “Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”

Earlier on Tuesday, several royal family members, including Harry’s father Prince Charles, carried on with their usual engagements.

The statement on what royal experts have described as a very damaging interview marked a notable departure for the palace, which usually refrains from commenting on reports and articles in the media.

The couple spoke with the media mogul Winfrey for a two-hour interview that aired on CBS in prime time on Sunday night in the United States and on Monday night in the United Kingdom.

The wide-ranging interview focused on what the Duke and Duchess of Sussex described as a lack of support offered to the couple after their 2018 marriage, Meghan’s experience with suicidal thoughts and British tabloids’ harsh scrutiny of her, which she said veered into racist undertones.

In a clip released by CBS on Monday, Harry said racism played “a large part” in the reason the couple left the country.

Among the allegations, Meghan said that in the months leading up to Archie’s birth, a member of the royal family expressed “concerns” and there were “conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.”

That has led to furious speculation in the British media and among members of the public over the source of the comment. Winfrey said on Monday that Harry told her it was neither his grandmother, the queen, nor his grandfather, Prince Philip, who remains hospitalised after a heart procedure.

Several local politicians and royal experts have put pressure on Buckingham Palace to launch an internal investigation over the alleged remark, placing more scrutiny on family business usually carried out behind closed doors. Last week, the palace said it had launched an internal investigation into bullying allegations lobbied against Meghan.

When asked about the couple’s allegations at a press conference Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson affirmed his “highest admiration for the queen.”He added that he had long declined to comment on “royal family matters,” and would not “depart on that today.”

Harry told Oprah his brother, Prince William, and father, Prince Charles, “are trapped” within the confines of the institution.

© Provided by NBC News Image: Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge sit inside Westminster Abbey as they attend the annual Commonwealth Service (Phil Harris / AFP – Getty Images file)

After the interview, the #AbolishTheMonarchy hashtag was trending on Twitter in the U.K., and 45 percent of respondents said they had little to no sympathy for members of the royal family over the situation with the Sussexes, according to a YouGov poll March 8 that surveyed more than 4,600 Britons.

The royal family is still pulling in more support than the Sussexes, according to the poll — 56 percent of respondents said they had little or no support for Harry and Meghan.

If you or someone you know is in crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255, text HOME to 741741 or visit SpeakingOfSuicide.com/resources for additional resources.

If you or someone you know is considering suicide, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1800-273-TALK (8255), text “help” to the Crisis Text Line at 741-741 or go to suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Writtne by Yasmine Salam and Yuliya Talmazan |NBC News

 

Want up-to-the-minute college, school life, entertainment news and more? Just hit ‘Like’ on our Teen Kids News Facebook page and ‘Follow’ on our @Teenkidsnews Instagram and Twitter account.

What do you think?

Written by admin

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

Loading…

0

Teen awarded over $1 million in scholarships from 18 colleges

Is Selena Gomez Saying Goodbye to Music? Everything We Learned From Her ‘Vogue’ Cover Story